-A A +A

• Inspector’s Call: After you register - either online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling 1-800-621-3362 - a nine-digit application number is assigned. An inspector will call to schedule an appointment to visit your damaged property, generally no longer than 10 days after registration.

• Inspector’s Visit: Keep the scheduled appointment to make sure the assistance process moves quickly. Inspectors will review both structural and personal property damage and file a report, but they do not determine eligibility or estimate or determine the value of damage or losses. The inspection typically takes 15 to 45 minutes.

You or someone who is 18 or older and lived in the household prior to the disaster must be present for the scheduled appointment.

The inspector will ask for identification and proof of ownership and occupancy (for homeowners) and occupancy only (for renters). You can speed up the process by having the appropriate documents on hand:

* A photo ID to prove identity, such as driver’s license or passport.

* Proof of occupancy, which may include any one of the following:

* A lease, rent payment receipt, utility bill or other document confirming the home was the primary residence at the time of the disaster.

* An employee pay stub and similar documents addressed to the applicant and showing the address of the damaged home.

• Proof of ownership, which may include any one of the following: Deed showing applicant as the legal owner; title that lists applicant on actual escrow or title document for the purchase of the home; mortgage payment book that names the applicant along with the address of the damaged home; property insurance policy for the damaged home with applicant’s name listed as the insured; tax receipts or a property tax bill that lists the address of the damaged home and the applicant as the responsible party to the assessments.

• After the Inspector’s Visit: You will receive a joint letter from FEMA and the commonwealth containing a decision within 10 days of the inspector’s visit. You may receive a low-interest disaster loan application in the packet from the U.S. Small Business Administration. You do not have to accept a loan. However, completing an SBA application opens the door to other possible forms of assistance.

If you are eligible for assistance, the letter will be followed by a check or an electronic funds transfer. The letter explains how the money can be used.

More disaster specific information can be found on the KYEM website at www.kyem.ky.gov.