Electrical fire temporarily closes Country Grill

-A A +A
By Jamie Baker-Nantz

The Country Grill in Dry Ridge will be closed for at least two weeks, maybe longer, after an electrical fire broke out on Monday, June 6.

“I’m hoping we’re only closed for two weeks,” said Mike Hare, owner. “My goal is to be up and running before the NASCAR race at Kentucky Speedway.”

The race is set for the first weekend in July.

Hare said the employees smelled smoke and then noticed a haze in the dining room just after lunch.

“I crawled in the attic but couldn’t find where it was coming from,” Hare said. “So, I called the fire department.”

According to Dry Ridge Fire Chief Joe Jamison, the fire department had some trouble locating the exact source of the smoke, but it was eventually found in the attic above the kitchen.

“Because the building had been remodeled several times, the construction made our job more difficult,” Jamison said.

Firefighters from Dry Ridge, Crittenden and Williamstown were called to the scene. The high temperatures and humidity also caused some issues for firefighters.

The restaurant, which Hare opened in July 10, 2009, lost electricity, which meant all the food in the restaurant had to be thrown away.

“We lost all the food, not a single item will be kept, all the way down to the canned goods,” Hare said.

Hare said the restaurant will have a re-grand opening once repairs are complete.

“Things were just starting to pick up and then wham,” Hare said.

His thoughts are with his employees who will be out of work until the business reopens.

“They’ll need money so I don’t know what will happen to them,” Hare said. “It’s just bad for everyone.”