- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The year of 2010 had some eventful moments in sports here in Grant County. Here is a sample of some of the top stories in sports.
• Tori Wilhoit grabs her 1,000th career rebound for Williamstown.
• George Eldridge, Steve Howe, Carl Wenderoth and Bradie Bowen inducted into the Grant County Hall of Fame.
• Bethany Lawrence, Gwen MacAdams, Mollie Pelfrey and Alexis Willen are selected to the Olympic Development Program soccer team.
• Williamstown guard Chelsea West scores her 1,000th career point.
• Grant County High School cheerleaders win their third consecutive regional championship.
• GCHS cheerleaders finish in eighth place at the state cheerleading competition.
• Grant County Middle School hosts staff vs. student game, raising money for the GCMS Relay for Life team.
• Williamstown junior Tori Wilhoit is named to the Eighth Region All-Region team.
• WHS senior Storm Mason earns spot on the North Central Kentucky Conference All-Conference team for basketball.
• Stacey May steps down as Williamstown boys’ basketball coach after three seasons, to take assistant coach position at Henry County.
• GCHS senior Dillon Pelfrey signs national letter of intent to play baseball at Eastern Kentucky University.
• Williamstown starts girls’ tennis program.
• Steve Sigmon is named as May’s replacement as coach for Williamstown boys’ basketball.
• GCHS senior Josh Asher signs national letter of intent to play baseball for Pikeville College.
• Lady Braves defeat Lady Demons in softball district tournament.
• Lady Braves advance to regional semi-final in softball.
• Blake Edmondson and Alex Prokopchak qualify for state for Williamstown track team.
• 4x800 meter relay team for Grant County boys’ track qualify for state. The relay team included Chris Ellis, Brandon Gouge, Dylan Jackson and Michael Schultz.
• GCHS senior Randy Saylers signs national letter of intent to play football for Pikeville College.
• GCHS relay team places 22nd at state.
• Prokopchak places 19th out of 21 runners in the 800-meter dash. Her time was 2:41.76.
• Edmondson finishes 18th out of 23 competitors in the high jump. His distance was 17-04.75.
• Lady Braves finish 2nd at regionals in softball. Grant County ends the season with a record of 25-13.
• GCHS Lady Brave Kaitlynn Roy and WHS Lady Demon Tori Wilhoit are named to the All-Region softball team.
• Lady Braves coach Ott Reed named 8th Region Coach of the Year.
• Cody Kellam, 13, of Dry Ridge, wins the Northern Kentucky Junior 7-UP Tournament.
• Northern Kentucky Lady Knights wins regional championship. Rachel Justice 10, of Williamstown and Shania Young 11, of Crittenden played on the team.
• Cody Moore 16, of Williamstown wins the state trapshooting title.
• The Grant County Board of Education approves adding wrestling and girls’ tennis programs.
• Williamstown junior Sean Moreland qualifies for All “A” state tournament.
• Williamstown senior Ali Rich qualifies for All “A” state tournament.
• GCHS senior golfer Zach Wright wins Grant County Invitational.
• Lady Braves and Braves soccer teams host the Dry Ridge Toyota Invitational. Both teams were defeated in the championship games.
• Lady Braves and Rich end season at state golf tournament.
• Braves soccer sets school record for wins (13) falls to Pendleton County in district tournament.
• Lady Braves’ soccer advances to regionals.
• Lady Demons advanced to second consecutive 8th region volleyball tournament.
• Wright finishes seventh at state after winning regional golf tournament.
• GCHS senior Jackie Kinman breaks school record for goals scored (33).
• GCHS sophomore Mackenzie Tucker breaks school record for shutouts (10).
• GCHS senior Jordan Cummins places 2nd at cross-country regionals and the team finishes as runner up to Dixie Heights.
• Williamstown senior Steven Bradford qualifies for state meet with 10th place finish at regionals.
• GCHS Hayley Leach is lone qualifier for Lady Braves cross-country team.
• Grant County youth football Gold Powerhouse wins second consecutive Super Bowl.
• Braves and Cummins finish 13th at state cross-country meet.
• Leach places 80th at state cross-country meet.
• Bradford finishes in 28th place at state cross-country meet.
• Mike Davis resigns as Grant County football coach.
• Wright signs national letter of intent to play golf at Northern Kentucky University.
• West nails shot to send Williamstown over Grant County 46-45.
• Former Williamstown student Devanny King signs national letter of intent to play basketball at Georgetown College.
• Lady Demons seventh grade basketball team wins NCKC tournament.
• GCHS senior Dustin Mills signs national letter of intent to play soccer at Union College.
• GCHS senior football kicker Preston Cahill plays in Best of the Bluegrass all-star game.