- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Pens, pencils, notebooks and more will be given away at the third annual Back to School Blowout to kick off the beginning of the school year.
The event, sponsored by the Grant County Community Education and Grant County Parks and Recreation, will be from 7 p.m. to dark Saturday, Aug. 13 at Grant County Park in Crittenden.
Along with free school supplies, Grant County students can enjoy free hot dogs and a screening of “Toy Story 3” in the park.
Children must be a Grant County resident in kindergarten through 12th grade to participate and a child must be present to receive school supplies.Students can check in at their designated school table.
A check-in table also will be reserved for private school home school students, who may have to show a proof of residence.
More than 25 vendors, including local churches and businesses, will be handing out everything from crayons to glue sticks to get students prepared for school.
Each school’s family resource center also will be available to answer questions and provide information.
Last year, more than 950 students were served during the Back to School Blowout.
“A couple years ago, we just saw the need for this,” Marksberry said. “It’s gotten bigger and bigger every year.”
The deadline to reserve a vendor table has been extended to 4 p.m. Aug. 5.
For more information or to be a vendor or donor, call Marksberry at 824-2871.
WHAT DO PARENTS NEED TO KNOW:
Grant County Schools:
• Start time - 8:10 a.m. (MCE students should report at 8 a.m.)
• End time - 2:55 p.m.
• Breakfast prices: (students) Reduced price - 30 cents; full price - $1
• Lunch price (students)- reduced price - 40 cents; full price (elem.) - $1.50; full price (middle school) - $1.70 and full price (high school) - $2
Grant County Middle School fees:
• 6th grade - $12
• 7th grade - $13
• 8th grade - $12
Grant County High School fees:
Range from $2 for lockers to $30 for marching band
• Start time - WES 8 a.m.
WMS/WHS - 7:55 a.m.
• End time - WES - 3 p.m.
WMS/WHS - 2:55 p.m.
• Early release dates: Sept. 21, Oct. 26, Jan. 25 and March 14
• Breakfast prices: (students) Reduced price - 30 cents; full price - $1.25
• Lunch price (students)- reduced price - 40 cents; full price (elem.) - $1.85; full price (middle and high school) - $2.10
WES fees: - $25 classroom fee and $25 school fee to pay for supplies, planners and workbook
WMS fees - $57 plus $10 fee for any labs
WHS fees - $68 plus $10 fee for any labs
and $82 per AP class taken
WHAT’S NEW FOR THE BACK TO SCHOOL BLOWOUT?
• Children must be a Grant County resident in kindergarten through 12th grade to participate.
• A child must be present to receive school supplies.
GRANT COUNTY FIRST DAY - Aug. 15
WILLIAMSTOWN FIRST DAY - Aug. 18